My wife Becki and I went out last Saturday to bring food to the workers at the Habitat build job in Celina. While there I struck up a great conversation with a young man named Aaron, who had converted from Judaism. I worked his story into my sermon on Sunday, and he contacted me to let me know that he had downloaded the sermon and listened to it.

While Aaron is already a Christian, conversations like these are essential in reaching those whom we serve. We also can have spiritual conversations with those with whom we serve. By inviting even non-Christians to serve, we can get to know them and have an opportunity to talk about faith issues.

My questions is, what ideas do you have for helping to make Habitat for Humanity more evangelistic?

Views: 71

Replies to This Discussion

How can you make any event you put on more evangelistic? I think striking up conversations with others outside of your normal group is a great way to begin the process. Evangelism doesn't need to be throwing a Bible verse in someone's face for every statement they make...nor should it be. Coming in from the "outside", I was terrified of Christians, as I stereotyped all Christians to be "Bible Thumpers"; simply quoting verses from a book at every comment I made. Most Christians cannot understand the Bible, so throwing a verse out won't really make a lick a difference...at least in my case =).

It is the personal relationships that are formed, opening up to people and talking to them more in depth...not just about how your favorite football team did or how the weather is today. Talking about your family, your work, your church...it is a non-threatening way to discuss details about your life.

I'm terrible at this, but trying to improve. Talking to strangers is easy, as you don't come in contact with them on a regular basis. It is talking to your friends and family that I find to be the most difficult part.

So to make a long story even longer:
1) Strike up conversations with the other workers outside of your local group.
2) At lunch, if you are with people outside of your church, mention that you are about to pray and if there was anything you can pray for them about.
3) Don't be pushy, it is God's plan, not yours =), but don't sit back, as you may be water that sprouts the already planted seed...or you may be the first...you never know.
Aaron, you have some great thoughts and ideas. You will have to "meet" my friend Kim Smith, who is also on this network. She was converted later in life, and so she, like you, has a lot of insight into this.

I like your suggestion about prayer. In the Christian community, we take prayer for granted. However, for those outside, having someone pray for you can often be a powerful experience. It also shows genuine love and care.

As you say, Christians are often comfortable staying in the mundane with their family, co-workers, and friends. We need to be learn to talk about our faith in simple, non-threatening ways.

I think that for many long time Christians, sadly, we do not talk about spiritual things because much of the time our hearts and focus is upon other things.
I agree with what you guys are saying. To me evangelism is a powerful tool when made personal. I think relying on God and the Holy Spirit to open and lead conversations is a much better way to go than throwing out verses and trying to do things on our own. It's hard for me sometimes to be the light I know God wants me to be. My natural inclination is to be a slow burning ember at the edge of the fire.
Kevin, you mentioned being led by the Spirit in our conversations. I know that you are reading Hirsh's work and are becoming familiar with the missional movement. An essential part of missional theology is the belief that the Spirit of God has been sent out before us (the word "missio" means "sending"). When we realize that God already is at work, hopefully it helps take away many of our fears.

Kevin Moses said:
I agree with what you guys are saying. To me evangelism is a powerful tool when made personal. I think relying on God and the Holy Spirit to open and lead conversations is a much better way to go than throwing out verses and trying to do things on our own. It's hard for me sometimes to be the light I know God wants me to be. My natural inclination is to be a slow burning ember at the edge of the fire.

RSS

Latest Activity

BISHOP. MISAKI KYOTO TURNER commented on T.J.R.Benhur Babu's photo
Thumbnail

India mission work

"Father in the name of Jesus Christ restore mobility back too her life restore ordor back and finally This will make a Differance in her hold life Give her you father for my sister Kishinev Davis and my sister tanksley Dovie. Amen"
Jul 22, 2023
Thumbnail

India mission work

"Bishop loves you All"
Jul 22, 2023
BISHOP. MISAKI KYOTO TURNER posted a status
"Bishop loves you"
Jul 7, 2023
Thumbnail

India mission work