In Postmodernism 101, Heath White presents a simplified, easily understandable introduction to postmodernism, primarily by contrasting premodern, modern, and postmodern thought. I will broadly summarize his main points below and reflect on their implications for my ministry setting.
First, postmodernism is characterized by a loss of faith in reason, knowledge, progress and hope. In contrast, White states that “faith in the power of reason is the central pillar of modern worldview” (p. 37). Moderns believed that knowledge was the key to growth, and that society would become more peaceful as it grew in knowledge. The world wars, the holocaust, the failure of communism, and the persistence of religion (deemed inherently irrational) led to the loss of faith in the modern worldview, and a loss of hope itself.

Second, postmodernism is characterized by a rejection of authority, the belief in objectivity, and the use of power. Premoderns depended on recognized authorities to determine how to think and live. In the modern age, religious leaders, groups, and individuals began to claim the right to interpret the Scriptures. Postmoderns rejected not only the absolute authority of Scripture, but also the authority of any one interpreter. Since the text only has meaning to the reader, language itself is an exercise in power and is not neutral, but has in fact been used to marginalize and propogandize.

While many applications are possible, one good application of White’s insights might be in regards to worship. For instance, in our fellowship, we take the Lord’s Supper each week; however, we need to continue to shift from a modern focus upon mere memorial to a premodern/postmodern focus upon the Lord’s Supper as a mystical encounter with Christ.Furthermore, most of our churches today still have a modern focus upon knowledge, with a resulting emphasis upon the sermon. This modern emphasis must be balanced with the postmodern emphasis upon emotion and that which evokes emotion and non-linear thinking.

Views: 175

Reply to This

Latest Activity

BISHOP. MISAKI KYOTO TURNER commented on T.J.R.Benhur Babu's photo
Thumbnail

India mission work

"Father in the name of Jesus Christ restore mobility back too her life restore ordor back and finally This will make a Differance in her hold life Give her you father for my sister Kishinev Davis and my sister tanksley Dovie. Amen"
Jul 22, 2023
Thumbnail

India mission work

"Bishop loves you All"
Jul 22, 2023
BISHOP. MISAKI KYOTO TURNER posted a status
"Bishop loves you"
Jul 7, 2023
Thumbnail

India mission work