I have been thinking about this subject of leadership.  There several sides to this discussion:  1) Elderships that act as a "board of directors" and are out of tune with the congregation 2) Elderships that do not "lead" in any sense 3) Elderships that are focused on the business model and have no conception of servant leadership and 4) Elderships that concentrate ( i.e. do ) the work of deacons and ignore spiritual development of the flock.

When elders are "appointed" ( in the NT example by the evangelist---???? where did this example go??), concentration is given to his character ( Tim. and Titus), but almost nothing is said about what elders are to do.   Clearly, one trait of leadership ( never mentioned that I recall in the many elder selection processes I have personally witnessed) is that of vision: Prov 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people perishf: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.   I am well aware that "vision" here is also translated "revelation".  But, even with this connotation elders are seldom selected based on their ability to interpret and implement the "vision/mission/revelation" of God for his people.  Where is the training for what elders/leaders are actually to do??

In my view one of the greatest deficiencies in the church is the lack of qualified/trained elders/leaders.

Views: 235

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you that there is a significant lack of qualified/trained elders/leaders. I have found there is a significant lack of those able to discern and lead well within church leadership, and often the theory of Scripture can be left in their heads as theory and not processed to be applied or understood practically.

Another obstacle that can present itself is pride; Jack Hayford's words come to mind where he said, "Everyone acknowledges the expertise of the trained professional until we come to theology.Then, everyone's an expert!"

I have found, in my experience, that it is often worldly success and successes within the church that cause someone to be seen as a capable church leader; these are what distinguish a man to be seen as one of quality. It is not as much about wisdom and leadership in and among overseers as it is about assets, measurable success, the theory of ministry, and sometimes church politics.  

Jack W. Hayford, Prayer Is Invading the Impossible (Orlando, FL: Bridge-Logos, 1977), 7.

Just to clarify, in my previous comment I was not implying that worldly success was of no value. It is very valuable, but while it can show wisdom in particular fields, it is not primary in showing spiritual wisdom and a willingness to love and care for His people as overseers. Sometimes things just require more than a glance or a 2D snapshot. 

RSS

Latest Activity

BISHOP. MISAKI KYOTO TURNER commented on T.J.R.Benhur Babu's photo
Thumbnail

India mission work

"Father in the name of Jesus Christ restore mobility back too her life restore ordor back and finally This will make a Differance in her hold life Give her you father for my sister Kishinev Davis and my sister tanksley Dovie. Amen"
Jul 22, 2023
Thumbnail

India mission work

"Bishop loves you All"
Jul 22, 2023
BISHOP. MISAKI KYOTO TURNER posted a status
"Bishop loves you"
Jul 7, 2023
Thumbnail

India mission work